How can I get featured?

posted on: Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A dear reader sent me the sweetest email the other day. She wrote about her frustrations and successes with blogging.
When reading her email a sea of emotions rushed through me.
 Her words reminded me of my own experiences and how relieved I was when I finally got my big break. Her thoughts were so sincere that I thought I would share a few of her words with all of you,  

"I starting blogging a few months ago and I have been posting my projects to different blogging parties, but I have not been featured yet....I think projects are original and well made...What am I doing wrong?"

I don't think there is an easy answer to this question. So I am going to explain what has worked for me, and please remember that this is just my opinion so don't take it as the only solution.

**********************************************
1. Great pictures.
The goal of linking to a blog party is to get noticed. The best way to get noticed is to have great pictures. Your pictures should be bright, clear, and professional looking.

Now don't be alarmed by the word, "professional."  One of the easiest ways to create your own professional photos is to create a clean and clear background.  

For instance....
Remember this lovely cupcake stand? The whole set up was staged, kinda...

Here's what the full picture looked like...
 So you see, just because my house was dirty (was is the KEY word) it didn't mean that my pictures needed to be dirty too.

2. Create consistency with your photos.
I use a white piece of posterboard as my background for all my pictures. I started doing this because I wanted my pictures to have a fresh look.

If a posterboard isn't your thing that is fine too. But the key is to always make sure you have nice, bright photos.
 
 See the difference a white background creates?
3. Link to blogs in your niche.
You are more likely to get featured on a specific blog if you have something in common with that blogger. For instance, if you are a craft blogger, post to craft blogs. If you love cooking, post to a cooking blog.

This doesn't mean that you can't post to different types of blogs, but if you are trying to find a way to get featured then this may be the first step to getting recognized.

kapeesh?
5. Become friends with blogs you love.
The more often you comment and interact with the blogs you like, the more they will begin to remember you. And "remembering you" is a really, really good thing. Believe me when I say that others will be more open to featuring you and your blog when they know that you have a sincere interest in their blog too.

When you give some love, you will receive some love!

6. Find a writing style that fits YOU.
When it comes to getting featured, pictures are only half of the story.
Whether you blog is centered around lifestyle, photography, home decor, or traveling try to write content that is meaningful.

Not all blogs are meant to be funny.
If your are more comfortable with providing inspiration then use that as your strength.
Find out what your "strength" is and channel it into your writing.
When you are passionate about what you write your readers will be able to sense that passion. And that "sense" is what will keep drawing them back to your blog day after day.
'nuf sappiness for the day... 

7. Stay motivated.
Finally, for all of you that are new bloggers don't give up! Post often. The more you post the more your blog will begin to unfold into your vision.

 And for those of you that are thinking of starting a blog...


Now, aren't cha all motivated? hmmm.

Did you check out this week's giveaway yet? hmmm #2.

25 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! You always have such wonderful things to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post Halsey! Love all the advice, and I think you are spot on! And I love the photo shoot pics- thanks for keeping it real. ;)
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a while since I've commented. This is get for NON-beginner bloggers (like myself.) The picture set-up gives me more inspiration than a photo/white box! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha i'm loving the poster idea.. I alwas wondered how people had such a bright, white wall! I have a piece of posterboard at home & now I want to craft just so I can use your technique. Love your bloggie <3 xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is perfect! i was starting to get a lil discouraged - thank-you for the great info! =)
    And, it's nice to know my kitchen isn't the only kitchen that gets to looking like that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that you shared your kitchen mess with us. I've been trying and trying to figure out a background and now I know exactly what to do {thank you}.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a side note...I've only been blogging since January and I am almost at 500 followers. I think there are three major keys to my 'success' (if you want to call it that)...1) Submit your tutorials to Totally Tutorials, 2} Ask larger blogs, like Ucreate, to feature your blog as a new blog to watch (this boosted my blog BIG time), and 3} Guest Post and Blog Swap...A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Halsey! I really appreciate the tips-somedays I still feel like no one's reading/featuring me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a good post! Thank you for all the info. I am slowly pushing along! There are ups and downs but it's getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all great tips Halsey!! I love, love, love your notes on the pictures of your kitchen. They made me laugh out loud. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you for showing us a picture of your kitchen when it's been lived in. I see pictures of people and their gorgeous, pristine, completely unused looking home and I think how do people live that way with kids and husbands and pets and not enough hours in the day. Thanks for showing us a bit of reality. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this post! I'm new as well, so this gave me some very wonderful tips!

    And ps--I'm still over the moon about getting featured on your blog last week! You made my month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully said! It's true that pictures have to be good and the writing has to appeal to the blogger. I was featured only a few months into my blogging experience and I was SHOCKED! But it felt sooooo good!
    And Jessica is right...you have to ask to be featured sometimes. I just submitted my blog to Casual Community Bloggers and when I was a guest blogger, I asked because I thought I had something to contribute. She said yes and I was thrilled. Didn't turn out great for me tho cause she never linked my name to my blog so I didn't really benefit much but it was a good experience.
    You really have to put yourself out there or no one will find you. But keeping it up is the best advice you gave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice, thank you for posting this. My pictures are always snaps from my craftroom... I guess I need to up my quality LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the best post ever! My house totally looks like this today, I was wondering if anyone elses house looked like this when they were crafting.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the great advice and positive motivation to keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the post Halsey! :) Don't forget auditioning for crafting competitions! :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it!! Thanks for all the wonderful advice :) I really love that you showed what the room really looked like. That is how my kitchen looks right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you wrote up this post and that you kept it real. I currently have the world's suckiest camera. (I actually worry it might be my photog skills, but it's easier to blame the camera)

    I am sure this gave her the shot in the arm to keep trying and to tips on how to better do what she enjoys doing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! That messy picture is Hilarious!! That is always how my background looks....I use to feel kinda guilty that I was deceiving people to a perfect Martha Stewart kinda life......when in real life I'm a mess!!

    I recently got a NEW camera...the one before was held together by duct tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your blog and had a near panic attack when it was private the other day!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you SO much for this post! I'm a new blogger (three months into it) and am getting frustrated with gaining followers, getting featured, and decreasing bounce rate. I definitely need to create a nice setup for my photographs like the one you showed with poster board.

    Thanks so much for the advice and empathy!!!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, I am LOVING your "real life" pics and the poster board with the ironing board on chairs is absolutely brilliant! I am definitely going to have give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete

Spunky Junky All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger